Houses of worship were vital centers of community life for many Naperville settlers.
The Germans who founded Zion Evangelical Church were immigrants fleeing the failed revolutions of 1848 in Germany and settlers from Pennsylvania. The lives of the Naperville congregation's members revolved around their church. It hosted a library and school on weekdays, and religious services on Sundays. The congregation opened the church's doors to preachers from other religious groups, and to the community as a meeting house.
The Meeting House was built in 1841 on land donated by town founder, Joseph Naper. It was moved from Van Buren Street to Naper Settlement in 1971. The Meeting House is the oldest church building in DuPage County.