Naperville's Horse Market Days drew farmers and dealers from all over to haggle and show off their horses.
Monthly horse sales in front of the Pre-Emption House began in 1885. Dealers hired boys to exercise the animals and take them to the railroad depot for shipment to their new owners. Horse Market Days ended in the early 1900s. A re-creation of the Pre-Emption House (demolished in 1946) was serves as Naper Settlement's visitor center.