Wing Young Huie Photography Workshop
We’re thrilled to bring award-winning photographer Wing Young Huie to Naper Settlement to teach middle and high school students how to use photography to tell a story about themselves and the people around them! The photographs they take will be co-curated into an exhibition that will be featured as part of our exhibition program.
Below are the workshop requirements and how to apply. There will be three sessions each day from Monday, August 8 through Friday, August 12. Participants will need to commit to ONE of the following time blocks that they will attend on each of the five days: 9-10:30 AM, 11 AM-12:30 PM, or 2-3:30 PM. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions!
We are looking for student participants who reflect the rich diversity of our community. We welcome ALL students from both of our school districts, home schools, and private schools, who meet the requirements listed below. Students do NOT need to reside in Naperville, and NO photography experience is needed. Participants will be selected by their statement and as space allows.
- Students must be entering grades 7-12 for the 2022-2023 school year.
- There is no fee to participate. The project is funded by the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Must commit to attending their assigned time block, the entire workshop week, Monday through Friday at Naper Settlement.
- Parent or legal guardian must sign a participant waiver and photography release.
- Desire to use photography to explore themselves and others.
- Excitement about seeing their work in a museum exhibition.
- Willingness to do the assigned photography outside of the workshop hours.
- Willingness to work in a group environment.
- Helpful if the student can provide their own digital camera with a dedicated SD card for the week. We will have a limited supply of digital cameras available for those that do not have their own.
How to Apply
Students should send an email with their name, address, phone number, age, and grade level, along with a short statement (200 words maximum), about WHY they would like to participate in this program. Send the email to email@example.com with an email subject heading titled: 2022 Photography Workshop Application.
Deadline to Apply
Monday, July 25, 2022